- From 1952-1056, before she became world famous from her role in And God Created Women, Brigitte appeared in 16 comedies- all French films.
- Brigitte was a big fashion and beauty influence. The Bardot neckline (a wide open neck that exposes both shoulders, generally a piece of folded over fabric) is named after Brigitte. Vogue also attributes her with revamping gingham, catapulting, “the popularity of two-piece swimsuits through her film The Girl in the Bikini, and brought the tousled, low beehive (choucroute hairstyle) into fashion.”
- After Bardot filmed And God Created Women in Saint Tropez, the seaside French town became a tourist destination.
- George Harrison, John Lennon and Paul McCartney admitted to having idolizing Brigitte. Lenon’s first wife lightened her hair to look more like Bardot’s while Harrison compared Bardot to hist wife Patti Boyd.
- Brigitte has been convicted of inciting racial/religious hatred in France after writing a letter publicly criticizing Muslims in France ritually slaughtering sheep by slitting their throats without anesthetizing them first.
It’s cool enough outside that you forget to put on sunscreen when you leave the house but the sun is shining and, thanks to our UV index, within a few minutes your skin starts to cook. Congratulations, you’ve gotten your first sunburn of the year! Here’s how to from burn to beauty:
- Take a cold shower. Even when you get out of the sun you can still continue to burn. A cold shower around 10 minutes in length as soon as you realize that you’re burning/have burned will minimize the amount of sunburn you develop.
- Just add apple cider vinegar and coconut oil. Dab a washcloth in apple cider vinegar and gently rub on your red skin to relieve the sting of your sunburn. Pat dry then liberally run in coconut oil to the affected area.
- Drink water. Sipping before you tan, while you’re tanning and when you get out of the sun keeping your body hydrated will keep your skin hydrated and even when you burn, being properly hydrated can expedite the healing process.
- Head to the pantry. Both corn starch and baking soda have been used to lessen the pain of a sunburn and start the healing process sooner than other home remedies. Add either the starch or soda to water making a paste you can gently apply to your burns.
- Go green. Using aloe, whether it be straight from the aloe plant or a gel you’ve purchased from the local drugstore will will help heal any burn, not just sunburn.
- Visit the refrigerator Applying probiotics and enzyme rich plain yogurt to your sunburn will not only help cool the burning sensation but also jumpstart the healing process.
- Stay moist, my friend. Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize! Apply moisturizer as often as your skin feels dry and keep your skin moisturized to promote healing.
- Cool your… cucumber. Making a paste out of cucumbers can naturally reduce swelling, redness, and pain associated with sunburn.
- Eastside soak it out. Westside soak it out. Adding vinegar to a cool bath can stop sunburn sting. Be sure not to run yourself dry with a towel because it may irritate the burn. Instead, use a sheet and wrap yourself in it to dry.
- Apply meat. No, not that meat- the meat of a watermelon. The nutrients in watermelon are shown to promote sunburn healing and when applied directly the skin, they can also help to alleviate the skin of the burn.
What do you do to cure your sunburn?
Are you planning a road trip to the South this Spring Break? Whether you’re headed to Atlanta or Nashville, Huntsville or Charlotte, straight from Georgia’s own travel expert (my title for her), here’s what you need to be sure to have with you:
- Proper Attire - The south experiences every season, which means, the weather is never the same! If you’re traveling to the “dirty south” in the midst of summer be sure to pack lots of tank tops, sundresses and that big floppy hat you’ve always wanted to wear. Making a winter trip? Be sure to pack layers! Below-zero temperatures are rare, but they do happen.
- Sunscreen - Whether you’re digging your toes in the sand on Georgia’s Jekyll Island or window-shopping in Nashville’s Second Avenue District – the southern sun can be very strong! I suggest packing a travel tube of SPF to always have on hand – because no one likes to sit in a long car ride with sunburn.
- Camera - The south is full of unique photo opportunities, so a camera (or smartphone) is an absolute must! Stop in Ashburn, Georgia to take a picture with the World’s Largest Peanut or strike a pose next the 25 foot Indian Man in Cherokee, North Carolina – you’ll love laughing over these photos for years to come.
- Stretchy Pants - The south is known for its food. Whether you’re feasting at Gladys Knight’s Chicken & Waffles in Atlanta or fueling up on braised short ribs at McCrady’s in Charleston, you’ll be glad you wore some pants with a little wiggle room. Don’t forget to order dessert!
- The Perfect Playlist - No road trip is complete without the perfect set of tunes! Some of my top southern road trip playlist suggestions include Tim McGraw’s “Southern Girl,” “Country Girl (Shake it for Me)” by Luke Bryan and Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Georgia Peaches.”
- Your Best Friend - Everything is more fun with a partner in crime, and a road trip is no exception! The time spent with a buddy can turn an ordinary trip into the adventure of a lifetime. Take turns driving while the other person takes a nap or flips through magazines, or simply spend the time talking and catching up with each other.
- Flats - Trade your stilettos for a pair of cowgirl boots and sneakers on your next southern road trip. We love a good heel, but the south is full of rugged terrain that is begging to be explored – don’t let your lack of proper footwear hold you back!
- Oversized Tote Bag - It’s inevitable. When you take a trip through the south, you’re bound to acquire an impressive collection of souvenirs. Be sure to bring a bag big enough to hold all of your fresh Georgia peaches, Vidalia onions and Tupelo honey.
- Chargers - Planning to tweet every moment of your trip and Instagram every meal? You’re definitely going to need a charger! Double and triple check to make sure you have all the chargers you need (a car charger is ideal) – this way you won’t stress out because you can’t share a photo of your new beer stein from Helen, Georgia’s alpine village.
- Travel Journal - Make note of every porch you sit on, every glass of sweet tea and every handsome southern man that tips his hat in your very own travel journal. Your notes will provide the perfect accompaniment to your stack of hilarious road trip photos.
photos courtesy of TybeeIsland.com, LERN.org, Trip Advisor, OurState.com, AL.com, Trip Advisor
- – - – -
Lauren Cleland is the voice of Explore Georgia on social media. She loves ice cold sweet tea, anything peach flavored, channeling Scarlett O’Hara in her daily life and sharing the wonders of her beloved Georgia with all of you!
This afternoon Clarins, the makers of the lip balm that Lupita Nyong’o dropped into the tip collection hat at the Academy Awards, announced that directly due to the momentary exposure Nyong’o's drop gave them, their HydraQuench Moisture Replenishing Lip Balm has, “almost sold out across the country over night.”
The PR and social media world went to overdrive claiming how #LupitasLipBalm has sent women of the United States directly to their local midrange retailer to purchase the balm.
Let’s get real. How many of you actually bought the lip balm? How many of you stopped by Macy’s on your lunch break specifically to buy Clarins HydraQuench Moisture Replenishing Lip Balm just because you saw a star drop it into a hat?
If more than 10 of you answered affirmatively then the best dressed darling of Hollywood’s awards season has WAY more pull than we all ever thought.
When it comes to a baby’s skin, there are fewer things smoother and softer. When allergens make a baby’s skin irritated, finding out the cause can turn parents into at-home CSI detectives. What if you didn’t have to worry about irritants?
Developed by board-certified dermatologist mom Dr. Amy Kim of Atlanta, Georgia, Baby Pibu™ launched March 1 and features a line of 10 luxury products to care for, protect and treat infant skin, along with step-by-step physician instructions and special tips on infant skincare.
The perfect gift for new and expectant mothers and fathers, Baby Pibu’s Newborn Essentials Skincare Kit ($98) includes a sampling of what the line offers:
- Pibu’s™ Bathtime Wash – Two-in-one tear-free hair and body cleanser
- Pibu’s™ Baby Butter – Moisturizing skin cream
- Hydrating Ointment – Intensive hydration for chapped, dry and eczema-prone skin
- Bottom Balm – Skin protection from diaper rash
- Baby Sunscreen – Broad spectrum SPF 30+ PABA-free sun protection
- Rash Relief – Relief for inflamed dry skin and eczema breakouts
- Intensive Bottom Relief – Soothing ointment to treat diaper rash
- Gentle Scalp Lather – Wash to relieve oily patches and dry flakes and treat cradle cap symptoms
- Safety 1st Soft Bristle Brush – Recommended for a daily bath time routine
- Complete Doctor’s Instructions for Care – Step-by-step instructions and special tips on infant skincare, including when to call the doctor for skin ailments
The brand also offers a Travel Essentials Set, Soothing Eczema Care Kit, Luxury Basics Gift Set and Blissful Bottom Gift Set which range in price tom $38-$60 each.
Several products have received recognition and endorsements by national healthcare organizations including the National Eczema Association (Pibu’s Bathtime Wash, Baby Butter and Hydrating Ointment) and The Skin Cancer Foundation (Baby Sunscreen SPF 30+).
Baby Pibu products are available to purchase at several upscale boutiques in the Southern US including Belles & Beaus in Oxford, Miss., baby braithwaite in Atlanta, Ga., Creter’s in Macon, Ga. , Snap N Turtle in Monticello, Ga., Fairytales Bookstore in Nashville, Tenn., Zokenz Couture in Alamo Tenn., Gretchen’s in Atlanta Ga., Charley Burl’s in Linden, Ala., Always & Forever Baby in Lawrenceville, Ga., Kiddie Shoppe in Columbus, Ga., Giggles in Decatur, Ill., Jack n’ Jill in Homewood, Ala., Limesqueeze.net, fanbanan.com, Monogram Lady in Austin, TX, Pinstripes and Polka Dots in Perry, Fla., and William and Grace in Asheville, N.C.
My husband, a sensitive skin-shaves every day with an old fashioned safety razor type doesn’t understand how I can forget.
You see, the first problem is that I always put off buying them. By the time I really need them, I don’t remember that I need them until I’m in the shower and forget by the time I get to the grocery store. I end up using the same blade for months which works as well as it needs to.
As I was getting in the shower a few weeks ago, I mentioned to him that I needed to get around to getting new blades. We went about our day and came home. He asked if I had gotten the blades. As usual, it had slipped my mind. He told me, “I’m going to sign you up for Dollar Shave Club.”
Despite having used a men’s razor for years, I had never considered the Club an option. After doing a little bit of research on their website, however, I saw that the prices were cheaper than what I would be spending if I was buying razor blades on sale via amazon.com. Not only that, they are auto shipped for my convenience at a schedule that I set up.
So, that was that. For $9/month (all inclusive) I now have 4 top-end razor blades shipped directly to my home. Because I can’t imagine going through blades that quickly, we adjusted the shipments to happen every other month but are able to adjust it back or extend the duration further at any time.
About 4 days after we spent 45 seconds signing up for the Club, I received a package in the mail containing 4 new razor blades, a new razor (you get one when you sign up at no extra cost), a sample of Dr. Carver’s Easy Shave Butter, a humorous pamphlet of bathroom reading and a membership card (which doesn’t get you anything but is a great ad-in).
I used my first new razor blade the next morning and was pleased with it as you can possibly be with a razor and blade. The razor itself is weighted nicely and the blades aren’t so sharp that you’re going to skin yourself. I have used the razor and same blade every day for a full week and haven’t noticed any dulling.
So far, I love my Dollar Shave Club experience. Signing up was fast, easy and I got the product without a long delay. While I did opt for the more expensive $9/month option, there are $1 and $6/month options available. I can cancel at any time without any monetary penalty and I haven’t been continually inundated with email offers to buy more products, sign up my friends or add to my order.
I highly recommend Dollar Shave Club but no, I’m not going to give you my recommendation code so I can earn free months worth of blades. That’s how serious I am that I want you to know how much I’ve enjoyed my Dollar Shave Club experience- I want you to know that I’m not benefitting from it any way if you decide you want to sign up.
HIT: Kate Hudson (in Atelier Versace and Neil Lane Jewelry), Amy Adams (in Gucci and Tiffany & Co. jewelry) & Cate Blanchett (in Armani Privé and Chopard jewelry)
MISS: Emma Watson (in Chanel and Chanel Fine Jewelry), Kristen Chenoweth (in Roberto Cavalli) & Julie Delpy (in Jenny Packham and Chopard jewelry)
HIT: Kristin Cavalleri (in Alexander McQueen), Glenn Close (in Zac Posen and Stephen Russell jewelry) & Sandra Bullock (in Alexander McQueen and Lorraine Schwartz jewelry) Continue reading
Stars who didn’t make it to the Academy Awards ceremony were ready to party the night away inside some of Hollywood’s most exclusive parties. In case you didn’t get make it to all of them, here is a peek at 10 looks you won’t want to miss seeing:
Diane Kruger (in Valentino), Joshua Jackson, Evan Rachel Wood & Tom Ford
Zooey Deschanel, Mindy Kaling & Vanessa Hudgens
Jennifer Lawrence (in Tom Ford), Leslie Mann & Sofia Vargara (in Roberto Cavalli)
The awards are being giving out right now and I’m busy watching while breaking down the trends we saw on the red carpet. Here’s what the morning shows will be talking about tomorrow:
(left to right) Sarah Paulson, Kelly Osbourne, Kristen Chenoweth & Cate Blanchett
Olga Kurylenko, Robin Roberts, Viola Davis & Jessica Biel
Big Diamond Necklaces
Idina Menzel, Charlize Theron & Naomi Watts
Slicked Back Short Blond Hair
Portia De Rossi & Jennifer Lawrence
Jada Pinkett Smith, Penelope Cruz & Camila Alves
Emma Roberts & Calista Flockhart
Pregnancy Goes Glam
Elsa Pataky (with husband Chris Hemsworth), Kerry Washington & Olivia Wilde
Maria Menounos, Sally Hawkins & Kate Hudson
Anyone who is anyone in Hollywood is in Los Angeles and getting ready for tomorrow night’s Academy Awards ceremony. Before that big party, there are the pre-parties which allow B, C and D-listers to rub elbows with some of the SAG-carded best. Did your invite get lost in the mail? No worries, I’ll catch you up on what you missed:
Everyone wore black. Vampire Diaries‘s Kat Graham, Two Broke Girls‘s Beth Behr, reality TV’s Whitney Port, and Nicole Richie all wore black to the QVC Red Carpet Style Event on Friday night.
Lupita Nyong’o continued to have the best overall style in Hollywood. At four events this week, the Academy Award nominee continued to show why she’s Hollywood’s style darling of the 2014 awards season.
Patterns were everywhere. Kelly Osbourne, Anna Kendrick and Paz del la Huerta (BTW looking WAY worse for the wear) wore them to D.J. Night with L’Oreal Paris during the Vanity Fair Campaign Hollywood at Sadie Kitchen and Lounge.
Menswear for womenswear is still a thing. While it’s hard to pull off well (see Stacy Keibler’s big FAIL), Aubrey Plaza and Diane Kruger made it look great this week at D.J. Night with L’Oreal Paris during the Vanity Fair Campaign Hollywood and National Hispanic Media Coalition Impact Awards events.
Even if orange is the new black, navy and black is Hollywood’s new color combination. Scarlett Johansen wore the combination to the 39th Cesar Film Awards in Paris this week while actress/model Jaime King wore a Dior ensemble to the Annual Women in Film Pre-Oscar Cocktail Party and the QVC Red Carpet Style Event.
…and then Jennifer Dey wore this to the Publicist Awards Luncheon. Who? Exactly. Jessica White looked… umm… colorful while Cate Blanchett was washed out by her unstructured take on a lampshade. Then, there was what Sally Hawkins wore to the Independent Spirit Awards.
The good looked good but the great looked fantastic. My favorite head to toe looks of the week are Anna Kendrick at at the Independent Spirit Awards, Kat Graham and Laura Vandervoort at D.J. Night with L’Oreal Paris during the Vanity Fair Campaign Hollywood at Sadie Kitchen and Lounge while Naomi Harris looked equal parts edgy and cool at a party thrown by Giorgio Armani.