Worried about overstuffing yourself and ruining any weight loss you experienced before the holiday season started? To keep the overstuffed bellies at bay, here are a few tips from Bamboo Juices CEO Kelley Sibley:
One -> Start your day with a mug of warm lemon water. Lemons are extremely detoxifying and when consumed first thing in the morning moves old waste out of your digestive system so that you can start your day feeling light and refreshed.
Two -> Drink green juice. Green juice is nourishing and when your body has all the vitamins, minerals and enzymes it needs to function properly your body naturally has less cravings which in turns helps to prevent over eating. Continue reading
Are you guilty of removing the cap to smell your soap or shampoo before you buy it? Of course you are! I’m pretty sure everyone is. Scent can effect everything from our mood to our work performance and even give us long lasting memories.
Which makes me wonder- why do I get sent beauty products to try that smell so strongly of oranges or licorice or peppermint that application makes my nostrils flare and my eyes water. Isn’t there a person that is supposed to test these things? An expert?
I’m, of course, no expert, but I know I know that even setting foot in a Bath & Body Works store causes my nose, eyes, and face to make motions usually reserved for a yellow lab with a nose tickle. I also know when I do like something and out of all the products I’ve tried this year, two were scented to stand out in a good way- Rituals Sensation Foaming Shower Gel Sensation and Belli Pure & Pampered Body Wash. Continue reading
How many dips does one table really need? This holiday season, stop the calories from dips from going straight to your hips by adding something fun, different, and low calorie (perhaps even healthy) to your holiday party food tables. Here are five of my favorites:
Yogurt-Dipped Strawberries - This treat is simple, delicious, and something you rarely find at parties- three perfect reasons to add it to your table. How many strawberries will you need to make? I recommend three per guest.
1.) Clean and wash strawberries.
2.) Dip strawberries in Greek yogurt- I recommend plain, vanilla or honey flavored.
3.) Set the dipped strawberries on a parchment or wax paper lined baking sheet
4.) Place sheet of dipped berries in the freezer for at least one hour, removing them at least 30 minutes before guests arrive.
5.) Serve on a platter.
Chocolate and Caramel Apple Slices - A perfect reminder of autumn, these treats give a nod to your sweet tooth without loading up on the calories. I recommend making three slices per guest. Here are two different ways to make these sweet treats:
Directions: Continue reading
Alongside apple cider vinegar, coconut oil is a favorite among health and wellness professionals who work to promote additives to your regular diet and beauty routine to help make you live a better life. What can coconut oil do? What can’t it do? Here’s what we know:
One -> Coconut oil is cholesterol-free and is better for you than butter but not a healthy alternative compared to liquid vegetable oils. “Even though coconut oil is cholesterol-free, it is still a saturated fat… if you are looking for real health benefits, switch from saturated fats to unsaturated fats by using vegetable oils like soybean, canola, corn, or olive oil,” says Penn State University cardiovascular nutrition researcher Penny Kris-Etherton, PhD, RD.
Two -> Coconut oil has more heart-unfriendly fatty acids than heart-friendly fatty acids.
Three -> Having coconut oil as part of your diet is largely about how you consume it. WebMD advises, “Asparagus cooked in coconut oil is a better choice than partially hydrogenated coconut oil in baked goods but not necessarily better than asparagus cooked in olive oil.”
Four -> Coconut oil is used in many countries as a conditioner, applied before or after a shower. It can also be massaged into the scalp to prevent dandruff. Continue reading
It’s the season of giving, right? Give your lover the gift of seeing you decked out in some of the season’s sexiest lingerie.
Row One -> (left to right)
Row Two ->
Row Three ->
Pregnant? Trying to get pregnant? What spa treatments are safe for you and your baby? Joey Detenber, the Spa Director at Bliss in the W Atlanta – Downtown gave me the answers in a recent interview:
One -> Are there various treatments that should be avoided during certain stages of pregnancy?
We recommend avoiding all forms of massage in the first trimester, as well as prolonged exposure to heat and steam. Once a soon to be mom is out of the first trimester, massage is very beneficial for sore muscles, swollen limbs and of course relaxation.
Two -> Pregnancy hormones can cause acne. Are there any spa treatments that would lessen the chances of outbreaks? Continue reading
Shopping for a basic bitch? Here are 15 gift ideas that will win over even the bitchiest basic bitch:
SPANX Power Pants ($118) – Whether or not she does yoga (or pilates) these pants are perfect for in the gym and the stop a basic girl makes to grab her pumpkin spice latte after she works out.
iTunes Gift Card – Taylor Swift’s new album won’t buy itself. Duh.
Bailey Button Triplet from UGGS ($220)- She’s no Smelly Melly. She’s a girl who just wants to have fun and be warm while she’s doing it. The buttons on these UGGS gives an updated look to the classic boot. Continue reading
Reading the product name, I instantly figured I was about to wash my body with something like Skintimate Shave Gel. What I found, however, was a much more pleasant and not as goopy experience.
Popping the top off the container of Rituals Sensation Foaming Shower Gel Sensation ($15 for 200 ml at Barneys.com) in the shower was easy and since I wasn’t sure what exactly to expect, I squirted a quarter sized amount of gel into my hand.
Then it grew.
The gel foamed like boiling batch of pasta on the stove, growing to cover two hands with a thin but not delicate foam in a matter of seconds. Using my hands, I rubbed the soap on my body and it cleaned then rinsed off with ease. It didn’t stick around like shave foam tries to and the foam was not nearly as thick as typical shave gel foam.
The scent was a bit more for the White Diamonds crowd at first when the foam was straight from the dispenser but as I washed the scent toned down leaving a pleasant scent very identifiable as rice milk and cherry blossom.
After a month straight of worth of use, I still haven’t run out of the product though I can’t exactly tell how much is left due to the nature of the packaging.
This foaming shower gel is definitely something I recommend purchasing. The end result is a product that is more luxurious than it’s price tag and would make a perfect addition to a DIY bath and body gift set for a holiday gift.
One of the best things about Small Business Saturday is rediscovering neighborhoods you love. One of my favorite shopping spots in Atlanta is Virginia Highland, an area of upscale boutiques and good eats that is perfect for spending an afternoon looking for the perfect gifts for loved ones- which happens to be exactly what I did. Here’s what I found:
- Dual Cable Knit Boot Socks by Hunter at William Wren – These dual-knit micro fleece socks are a must-have for any woman wearing her Hunter boots into winter.
- Bradshaw Gold-Tone Stainless Steel Watch by Michael Kors at 310 Rosemont – Does he need a new timepiece? You can’t go wrong with this Michael Kors watch which is equal parts modern and classic.
- Labrador Cufflinks by Over & Under at 310 Rosemont- Let him wear his love for man’s best friend on his sleeve.
- Sterling Silver Wrap Bracelet on Black Leather by Chaun Luu at 310 Rosemont – Polished sterling silver nuggets hand woven throughout black colored leather make this piece perfectly boho chic.
- Classic Nylon Lacey by kate spade new york at 310 Rosemont – A classic pop of holiday color is the perfect addition to her stocking! This case is nylon and leather making for great durability and can hold up to 12 credit cards- perfect for boutique shopping!
- 5 Pack Low Rise Thongs by Hanky Panky at 310 Rosemont – Getting sock and underwear is a tradition in my home. Up your giving game by snagging a set of these ultra-comfortable thongs for her.
- Bella Large Spiral Notebook by kate spade new york at 310 Rosemont – If she likes to make a list and check it twice and has been just the right amount of naughty and nice, she’ll probably love this chic way to keep track of life’s lists.
- Slim Runway Gold-Tone Stainless Steel Watch by Michael Kors at 310 Rosemont- She wants a classic watch this holiday season? Skip the big box stores and see what boutiques offer, like this gold gem by Michael Kors.
- Navy Mogador with Green Stripe Bow by Res Ispa at 310 Rosemont – Get him ready for your big New Year’s Eve plans with a new bow tie! This blue and green one from Res Ispa is for classic taste but there are plenty for all personalities- stop by and check them out!
- Skipjack Boxers by Southern Tide at 310 Rosemont – She gets the thongs, he gets a couple of pairs of boxers. It only seems right.
- Turquoise Mix Beaded Bracelet on Henna Leather by Chan Luu at 310 Rosemont – Tribal inspired prints are here for another season and with the cool tones in this bracelet, she’ll definitely be wearing your purchase all winter long.
- Grey/Purple/Blue/Orange Multi Stripe Socks by Robert Talbott at 310 Rosemont – One of my favorite movie quotes of all time is, “You know where you are with an honest pair of socks.” For a man, a good pair of socks is a timeless gift that will always be appreciated.
- Pointelle Tall Sock by Free People at Winter Wren – Add a peek of fun from inside your boots this winter with tall socks. These pointelle ones by Free People give a flirty twist on the usual choices.
- Vermeil Silver Mini Tin in Chestnut & Vetiver by Voluspa at Winter Wren – You can go really wrong when gifting a candle, or really right. Choose to go “right” by picking a winter scent to fill your home.
- Half-Zip Wallet by Moore & Giles at 310 Rosemont – Moore & Giles have some amazing leather goods and this wallet is the perfect, unexpected addition to his stocking.